Sun Valley Ski Academy Boarding Program
Make Your Home at the Sun Valley Ski Academy
Sun Valley Ski Academy’s boarding program offers committed snow sport athletes the opportunity to live within minutes of unparalleled snow sport venues while pursuing a college-preparatory education at one of the country’s finest independent schools.
The SVSA boarding program is the ideal home base for snow sport athletes.
When you choose to become a boarding student with SVSA, you are choosing:
- To move into the 25,000 square-foot Rufus M. Brown Hall, completed in 2017, which boasts not only comfortable, spacious student suites with common living areas and en-suite bathrooms, but the state-of-the-art Julia Argyros Training Center, wax room, and ski storage in the same building;
- To call the vibrant mountain town of Ketchum, Idaho home;
- To live within ten minutes of alpine, cross country, mogul, and park and pipe venues;
- To sit down to delicious, regionally-sourced, nutritious meals prepared with the needs of athletes in mind;
- To benefit from an on-site Academic Coordinator who, together with Sun Valley Community School’s faculty, can help you balance school and skiing;
- To join a residential community of students from around the country and around the world similarly committed to pursuing their passions.
Clay Wawner succeeded Nancy Parsons-Brown as Director of Residential Life in 2018. Clay joined Sun Valley Community School from Miller School of Albemarle in Charlottesville, Virginia, where, since 2013, he served as Dean of Students, history teacher, Community Service Coordinator, Head Varsity Lacrosse Coach, Residential Duty Team Chief, Student Advisor, and Senior Administrative Team member.
In addition to his extensive academic, residential, and coaching experience, Clay has over ten years’ experience as an outdoor education instructor, having led wilderness experiences around the U.S. and globally, including two summers employed as a fishing and river guide for The River Company in Stanley.
Clay, along with his wife Maggie, bring warmth, a familial approach, clear expectations, and great residential experience to the dorm, while also working to expand programmatic offerings for all the school students.
Clay is a graduate of Denison University, where he captained the men’s lacrosse team for two years and graduated with a degree in history. In his reflection of his visit to Sun Valley Community School, Clay shared, “Through a strong set of guiding values, I believe that I can help define a culture that successfully integrates the residential life program into the greater community, bridges the gap between day and boarding students and faculty, and creates a fun and safe environment for our students.”
The school provides a lot of opportunities for so many interests—from skiing to outdoor adventures to the arts, there are so many things going on.Cailin '19, SVSA Alpine Athlete
As an SVSA athlete, you will:
Find meaningful academic challenge at Sun Valley Community School;
Train as a member of Sun Valley Ski Education Foundation, benefitting from a world-class coaching staff and superior and varied training conditions;
Have flexibility and support to pursue intensive training and competition schedules;
Participate in Sun Valley Community School’s signature Outdoor Program, exploring the landscape of the West through trips that make the most of the area’s stunning wilderness areas and connect you with your school community.