THE FOUR OVERARCHING GOALS OF sun Valley COMMUNITY SCHOOL’S OUTDOOR PROGRAM ARE TO:
- Build relationships;
- Provide opportunities for personal growth;
- Develop relationships with wild places;
- Teach outdoor skills.
These goals are reflected in the Middle School Outdoor Program trips, which focus on integration of the classroom and the outdoors, self-esteem, group problem solving and decision making, self care, and outdoor skill building.
Trips in Middle School are longer, more wilderness-based, and more challenging. Attendance on trips is a requirement in grades six through twelve. It’s also recommended that seventh and eighth grade students attend one weekend trip per year. All students’ grades six through twelve participate in our Fall Campout during the second week of school.
The Outdoor Program has taught me what it's like to persevere. You can't really throw in the towel.Eli '21
- Build new skills, including rock climbing, whitewater, backcountry skiing, and longer backpacking and camping adventures;
- Teach leadership, cooperation, and teamwork;
- Instill a respect and love for the outdoors;
- Encourage students to reach their maximum potential in a safe and nurturing environment;
- Explore one-of-a-kind wild places;
- Tie curricular elements to outdoor trips;
- Build stamina, resilience, and grit;
- Appreciate the capabilities of growing and changing bodies;
- Build strong relationships with classmates and faculty;
- Have fun!