Through explorations of movement, improvisation, and collaboration, students will discover the unique voice that lives in each of them. As they progress, students will apply their new skills to text ranging from classical to contemporary. Additionally, classes will focus on inhabiting a neutral body and an imaginary body, voice and speech, emotional recall, and psychophysical gesture.
- Minimum of two terms of Theatre History and/or Technical Theatre
- Minimum of one term in music and dance
- Development of portfolio/ book/ reel to include classical and contemporary monologues and devised materials, as well as song rep to include comedic, classical, pop rock, contemporary, and character
- Maintenance of “book/ reel” throughout participation in program
- Final presentation/ showcase of work during senior year, either as part of Creative Arts Week or at local venue (CoF, The Spot, NexStage, Sun Valley Film Festival)
- Participation in fall musical and winter play (all four years)
Have you ever wondered what goes on behind the scenes of a Sun Valley Community School theater performance? Or Senior Projects? Upper School and Creative Arts Academy student Gabe Delgado is passionate about theater lighting and design and is currently on the CAA's "tech track". His dedication runs so deep that he created this video to explain what inspires him to do the best he can do to make our performances stand out. We love that our CAA students can hone their skills both on and off the stage!
Because of our size, one might not expect this huge amount of opportunity and activity at Sun Valley Community School, but our school is small but mighty. Our community is made up of adventurous, compassionate, diverse, unique individuals who are eager to accept newcomers and are always welcoming.