Community School Merit Scholarships
Each year Community School offers up to four new Merit Scholarships for incoming, qualified applicants to the Upper School.
Merit Scholars are eligible to receive up to 50 percent of annual tuition. Students may also qualify for partial awards of less than 50 percent.
Merit Scholarships renew each year provided attendance is uninterrupted, the student remains in strong academic standing, and a record of good citizenship is demonstrated. This scholarship does not cover Outdoor Program trip costs, books, summer school, or other fees.
New applicants to Community School entering grades 9-12 are eligible to apply. Students do not have to qualify for need-based financial aid to be eligible for Merit Scholarships.
Families requiring additional financial assistance are encouraged to apply for a need-based financial aid award as well as a Merit Scholarship.
Students who wish to be considered for a Merit Scholarship should check the appropriate box(es) on this application and return it to the Admissions Office. You may also contact the Director of Admissions for more information.
The purpose of the Merit Scholarship program is to add excellence and diversity to our school. We recognize that students’ talents vary. We expect students applying for a Merit Scholarship to have a strong academic record and to have a passion for learning. In addition, students applying for a Merit Scholarship should check the box(es) that correspond to categories that they believe are applicable to their candidacy.
- Arts: For students who excel in, and who are interested in, pursuing visual art, drama, and/or music at Community School
- Athletics: For students who excel in, and wish to pursue, athletics at Community School
- Citizenship: For students who are positive influences among their peers, who demonstrate kindness and respect for others, and significantly contribute to their community
- Outdoor Leader: For students who have a demonstrated accomplishment in, and passion for, outdoor activities, and hope to advance their outdoor leadership skills at Community School
We expect all Merit Scholars to uphold characteristics exemplified in Community School’s mission:
- Think Critically
- Engage Confidently
- Embrace Challenges
- Lead Impactful and Purposeful lives
In offering a Merit Scholarship, we seek students who will contribute as much to their class and to the school community as they will receive from a Community School education.
Students applying for a Merit Scholarship must complete all regular admission requirements by the February 25 application deadline:
- Parent Statement
- Applicant Response
- Writing Sample
- Teacher Recommendations
- Outside Recommendation (from someone who knows you in your selected merit categories)
- School Records
- Visit (During this visit, the student will have an interview with the Admissions Director)
- SSAT (must take either the November, December, January, or February national test)
- Additional Merit Scholarship Essay Question: Per the Merit Scholarship categories you indicated on the previous page, please explain in 200-300 words your strengths within that area(s).
Notification of Merit Scholarship awards will be sent concurrently with admission decisions in the middle of March.
- Be known and inspired by faculty committed to connecting with you and supporting your passions.
- Find meaningful academic challenge through engaging classroom and experiential learning.
- Connect with your community through Outdoor Program experiences that allow you to push past your comfort zone and develop skills practical and profound.
- Earn the confidence to share your ideas and effect change, among your peers and in the wider world.